In the late hours of the night, Hearthstone developer Ben Brode has announced a grand opportunity. Players dissatisfied with Hearthstone’s current trends, creative fans who want the opportunity to be rewarded for their work, and game-design enthusiasts with insight into the world of Collectible Card Games (CCGs) are all welcome to submit applications for the new “Hearthstone Design Team” role. Blizzard posted more information on their site, but Brode’s video also offered players a glimpse of the tools developers at Blizzard use to create and modify cards.
This tool, called HearthEdit, takes data plugged into an Excel spreadsheet and uses it to create the cards in a user-friendly format. The process, as outlined by Brode, is simple, allowing developers to spend more time creating and balance-testing interesting effects, coming up with exciting names, and writing up art descriptions for Blizzard artists to use as a baseline. Brode demonstrated this ease by modifying Dr. Boom, a fan-favorite in Hearthstone‘s Wild Format, which took only a handful of seconds.
Unfortunately, Blizzard isn’t opening the doors to all comers. Applicants are required to have the following:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a game design role with at least one shipped title.
- Absolute passion for playing and making video games, especially with Blizzard Entertainment products and the Warcraft universe.
- A positive and self-driven attitude with the ability to be collaborative in a team environment.
- Excellent knowledge of World of Warcraft’s history and characters.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
Beyond this, they encourage applicants who have the following traits:
- Multiple golden heroes in Hearthstone
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Creative writing background
It is unfortunate to see a requirement of previously shipped titles, which disqualifies many lay-people, but the requirements fit the responsibilities, as Blizzard expects designers to be familiar with scripting language, help develop and improve tools for card creation and grasp the underlying design philosophy of Hearthstone. Aspirant writers and back-seat design coaches need not apply.